Program Director – Afghanistan
The Norwegian Afghanistan Committee (NAC) is a member-based solidarity organization, operating solely in Afghanistan where we deliver activities with an integrated approach to rural development primarily in two provinces, Badakhshan and Ghazni, but also have programs in Laghman, Wardak and Nangarhar. Our work is need based. Our ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life of the people in our focus areas, working in close collaboration with government authorities, civil society and other national and international stakeholders.
The integrated program brings together interventions in education, health, environment, natural resource management (including disaster risk reduction and management), and enterprise development. It is coupled with systemic engagement and capacity building of existing structures at micro and meso level, in order to address the underlying causes of poverty rates and lack of development. In addition to the integrated program, the NAC is operating community and hospital midwife education, and community nurse education.
The Program Director will be responsible for implementation and innovation of a cross sectorial development program in accordance with NAC strategy and program documents. The Program Director will train and monitor local teams, in order to improve capacity to assess, plan and sustain the integrated development, development in accordance with national and provincial development policies.
The Program Director will:
- Lead the implementation of the integrated rural development programme
- Contribute to programme enhancement, innovation and design of activities
- Improve integration of sector activities to provide greater synergies within NAC and complementarity between NAC and other partners
- Improve NAC capacity to partner with and support local democratic institutions and civil society organisations at the cluster, district and provincial levels.
- Train and coach program staff in sustainable development
- Cooperate and liaise with relevant stakeholders at provisional and national level
- Document results, and facilitate continued organizational learning.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience of program and project development & management.
- Proven experience in integrated – multi-input approaches to rural development
- Proven experience of working with democratic institutions at community, cluster, district and provincial levels
- Proven experience from working with civil society organisations
- Demonstrable training experience
- Strong capacity in strategic planning
- Experience from working in conflict area, Afghanistan is preferable.
- Political, gender and cultural awareness.
The Rural Development Program Director will be based in Kabul; extensive travel in Afghanistan will be required. The position reports to Country Director. The contract period is for 2 years, with three months trial period. Salary and benefit as agreed upon. Commencement January/February 2013.
Deadline for applications: 20.12.13 Directed to: email@example.com
For further information about the position and the organization, see www.afghanistan.no or please call Secretary General, Liv Kjølseth +47 45252569, or send an e-mail to Country Director, Terje M. Watterdal on firstname.lastname@example.org